Dealing with My Depression: Feeling Much Better

Hello everyone,

It was exactly a year ago that I shared my news with you because I wanted it to be my story. Today, I want to update you on my journey and how I’m feeling much better now.


When I was first diagnosed, I felt like I was in a black hole. I experienced feelings of rejection, loneliness, and uselessness. My mind was overwhelmed with doubts and worries. During this dark time, I found comfort in Jesus’ cry from the cross: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me” (Matthew 27:46 & Mark 15:34). His words reminded me that even in my suffering, I am not alone.


The journey to recovery wasn’t easy. I started on antidepressants and received counselling. The support from my friends and family has been invaluable. I’ve had my share of “wobbles,” but overall, I feel much stronger and more hopeful.


One of the significant realisations during my recovery was the importance of talking about mental health. There’s a stigma around depression, especially in the church, where people assume we should always be joyful because of our faith. But being a Christian doesn’t make us immune to mental health struggles. In fact, acknowledging our vulnerabilities can bring us closer to God and each other.



Helen, my wonderful wife, has been my rock through this journey. Her support and understanding have made a world of difference. It was difficult for Helen to know what I was feeling and the worry it gave her. Helen allowed me to take off my mask. I can’t thank her enough for standing by me.


I also want to express my gratitude to everyone who reached out, shared their own stories, and offered support. Knowing that others understood and cared made a significant impact.


As I continue to heal, I am committed to advocating for mental health awareness, especially within our religious communities. We need to create spaces where people can share their struggles without fear of judgment. 





My dream is to explore a New Place for New People called Hope


Here to listen

Open to help

Place to be yourself

Everyone welcome


Remember, it’s okay not to be okay. Reach out, talk to someone, and seek help. We are all in this together, and by supporting each other, we can make a difference. 


Thank you for being part of my journey. Let’s continue to be open about our mental health and support one another.


A year ago the light was a distance because of the darkness, but now I can see the light. And like the song from Tangled says…


And at last I see the light.

And it’s like the fog has lifted

And at last I see the light

And it’s like the sky is new

And it’s warm and real and bright 

And the world has somehow shifted

All at once everything looks different

Now that I see you.


But more importantly, I can now see myself.


With gratitude and hope,


Matt









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living in Darkness

The Power of Touch