Love in action

Twelve years ago I had the privilege of going to Ghana. I was invited because the church Helen and I attended in Hull had Ghanaian members.


I attended Calvary Methodist Church.

The Methodist Church is located in the centre of the capital, Accra.

Calvary Methodist is a vibrant church with two services on a Sunday. I remember having to give a greeting to the minister in front of 200 people.



Eating banku and making a mess


Children greeting me

Twelve years later, Helen and I find ourselves in the New River Methodist Circuit. 

17th May was meant to be my District Testimony service before attending the Methodist Conference to be ordained. I was going to share the honour to be part of a circuit that is 90% Caribbean and West African. I want to thank the circuit for teaching me so much since joining them in 2018. Thank you for helping me to realise that my way of worship isn't the only way. We learn together and we show solidarity. 

Edward Colston was a Bristol slave trader and his statue was pulled down, but a statue remains standing in Bristol of someone wanting an end to slavery called John Wesley. A statue of love remains. 

John Wesley on love ... 'humility and patience are the surest proofs of the increase of love'

Romans 12: 9-21 - Love in action

v15 - weep with those who weep

I will weep when you are weeping 

v19 - do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'it is mine to avenge; I will repay.' 

Martin Luther King Jr believed in a nonviolent protest. 

'Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that' - Martin Luther King Jnr. 

When I reflect on MLK words I think of Miami...


And this relates to verse 21 ...  'do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.'


'If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other' - Mother Teresa


Brother, sister let me serve you, let me be as Christ to you. We are pilgrims on a journey and companions on the road. And I will hold the Christ-light for you. As part of the human race, I take the knee with you and we show solidarity and like the song says we shall overcome. 

We kneel together at the foot of the cross. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living in Darkness

Dealing with the darkness

Larry