'A different sort of church' during Holy Week 2020

Here are some initial thoughts on what Holy Week/ Easter 2020 looked like during the coronavirus pandemic.

We have already become 'a different sort of church' during  these unprecedented times. 


This picture is from last years Maundy Thursday at Holly Park. We sat in a circle for foot/ hand washing and shared communion (this year we find ourselves washing our hands to Happy Birthday).

Reflecting on my first year of ministry, Holy Week was one of the standout moment as a minister within the Methodist Church. I had the immense privilege to journey with the congregation through lent, the upper room, calvary, and the empty tomb.


Maundy Thursday 2019 was special for me because it was the first time in my ministry that I washed feet/ hands and shared the Lord's Supper. 


'The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 

In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.'

1 Corinthians 11: 23-29


My favourite part of the Maundy Thursday story is Jesus washing feet because it's an act of love and humility. Jesus knew that actions speaker louder than words.


'Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet' 
says Jesus


'This is our God, the Servant King'
Graham Kendrick


Holy Week/ Easter 2020 is certainly different for us all.


But the words when Jesus says 'now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet' is more relevant for today especially with 'essential workers' serving us and making sure we are safe.


"I want to thank everyone on the NHS front line, as well as care workers and those carrying out essential roles, who selflessly continue their day-to-day duties outside the home in support of us all. I am sure the nation will join me in assuring you that what you do is appreciated and every hour of your hard work brings us closer to a return to more normal times"
                            The Queen


'So let us learn how to serve,
And in our lives enthrone Him;
Each other's needs to prefer,
For it is Christ we're serving' 
Graham Kendrick


This year I will remember my second year of Holy Week, but for different reasons. I will remember services done differently because we are learning to do worship more virtually. Can we challenge the term social distancing? Should we be saying physical distancing not social distancing because as a church we socially connecting via the telephone, letters, WhatsApp, social media, online services and we are socially connected in prayer and pastoral support. Over 1,000 people viewed our Easter Sunday service online. I find it warming seeing people enjoy worship online from all over the world. We are reaching out to more people. 

I will also remember my second year of ministry because the Methodist Conference cannot meet as planned in Telford in June and will look at ways for the Conference to meet in an alternative form. This means people getting ordained will have to wait for Methodist guidance. Please keep the ordinands including me in your prayers. 

Many people have messaged me to say that they're missing church. Have we taken going to church for granted? But we must also remember that although our buildings are closed the church is very much alive because the church as left the building. And like those women who rushed back proclaiming Christ is Alive, we too will run back to our churches when we reopen.  

Is this year really different? Because the message remains the same. 


I finish with a reflection from a church member at Muswell Hill...


THOUGHTS FOR EASTER DAY
Some of you like Jenny and I will be missing going to Church today. Easter Sunday for millions across the world is a time of great joy. We all need joy in our lives, right now.
Reflecting on the account of the first Easter Sunday and the preceding Holy Week it is a bit like the present situation we are in. We have been in Lock Down for three weeks which makes me think of Jesus being nailed to the Cross on Good Friday.  Jesus was crucified but then the completely unexpected happened. He was buried and when his disciples went to embalm his body the next day he was gone! A few hours later he appeared to Mary and then another and another and another disciple. No lock down could hold him.
Now there is a great shout of joy on Easter Day, Kyrie Elision, Christos Elision, Kyrie Elision.  Nothing could hold Jesus in the grave and I am absolutely sure in a few weeks, we will all be shouting for joy because we all as a multi-faith community have defeated the coronavirus .
The Eastern Orthodox Church that follows the Gregorian calendar celebrates Easter seventeen days after the Church in the West. Maybe by then restrictions will be eased and we can all celebrate together.
By David Restarick 


  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living in Darkness

Dealing with the darkness

Larry