Time to say goodbye

With each goodbye we say, we feel the loss of familiarity in our lives. For example, new career opportunities take us to different locations, children go off to college and loved ones die. Saying goodbye can be a choice, while others it’s chance, stress or grief. 

Many songs mention goodbye: 
           “Goodbye my lover” by James Blunt
           “Farewell” by Rihanna 
           “Time to say goodbye” by Andrea Bocelli and Sara Brightman 
            “Go your own way” by Fleetwood Mac

These are just a few of many songs mentioning goodbye.

I share this because in July Helen and I said goodbye to friends in Harrogate. We’ve been truly blessed living and working in Harrogate. 8 years ago I was appointed as the children and families’ worker for the Nidd Valley Methodist Circuit. Harrogate will always be a special place for us. A place where we both candidated for the ministry. A place where we made many friends and we leave with wonderful memories. A place that made me feel more confident in sharing the gospel. Our farewell service was packed and we was overwhelmed how we’ve made an impact. However, the people of Harrogate also impacted us too. We are sad to be leaving!

The disciples would have felt the same when saying goodbye to Jesus. Before he was taken up into heaven Jesus tells his disciples not to leave Jerusalem or make changes in their lives because the Holy Spirit will be with them on Pentecost and they will be witnesses for Christ in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and all over the world (Acts 1: 1-11). Saying goodbye to Jesus would have been difficult for the disciples because they have journeyed with him and didn’t want to lose him. However, Jesus is saying that this isn’t goodbye because the Holy Spirit will do incredible things through them. 

A song I haven’t mentioned and that is ‘Hello Goodbye’ by The Beatles. As we say goodbye to friends in Harrogate, we say hello to the New River Circuit, London. We will hold on to those special memories in Harrogate and we look forward to creating new memories in London. 

“One more step along the world I go,
One more step along the world I go;
From the old things to the new,
Keep me travelling along with you:
And it's from the old I travel to the new;
Keep me travelling along with you”

I hope this post helps you when dealing with goodbyes. Saying goodbye is never easy, but are not the end. They simply mean I’ll miss you, until we meet again! And like Jesus says to his disciples ‘I am with you always’.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living in Darkness

Dealing with the darkness

Larry